If you’ve listened to Taylor Swift’s ‘Lover’ at any point since it was released back in August, you will know that “The Man” is an instant attention-catching tune about how different her career would have been if she were male.
The lyrics reference everything about Taylor’s reputation. Her being a serial dater to her career “power moves” to even her 2017 sexual assault trial. During her Vogue cover interview in September last year, Taylor described it as a song that “plays with the idea of perception”.
“If I [were a man and] had made all the same choices, all the same mistakes, all the same accomplishments, how would it read?” she explained.
The Music Video
Taylor just unveiled the music video for “The Man” — and, after co-directing the videos for “Me”, “You Need To Calm Down”, and “Lover”, she’s taken up the director’s chair for this one entirely by herself. In the video, we see Taylor as — you guessed it — a man, living a lavish life full of money and models, and generally being disrespectful to everyone else in existence.
But then again, this is Taylor Swift we’re talking about. So, of course, the music video comes packed with hidden details that fans are already trying to decipher.
In a YouTube Q&A before the video’s premiere, Taylor said: “How many Easter eggs? Lots and lots. More than in any kid’s yard on Easter morning.”
Those Easter Eggs
- When The Man™ is on the subway, manspreading and smoking in other passengers’ faces, he can be seen reading a newspaper with the headline “WHAT MAN WON THE YEAR IN CELEBRITY DATING” — a nod to the double standards Taylor herself dealt with when she was branded a “serial dater”.
- The Man™ then steps up to pee on a wall graffitied with the names of some of Taylor’s old albums — Fearless, Speak Now, Red, 1989, and Reputation. This is, of course, a reference to Taylor’s ongoing battle with Scooter Braun and her old record label, Big Machine, for the rights to the master recordings of her first six albums.
- As are the signs on the wall, which read “Missing: If found return to Taylor Swift” and “no scooters”.
- And there’s a poster for Mr. Americana, a film about Tyler Swift and directed by Larry Wilson, which premiered at Mandance Film Festival.
- We also see The Man™ running through a hallway, high-fiving a bunch of disembodied hands — and fans have already been speculating that this hallway looks very similar to the infamous inside of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s house.
The Video on Social Media
When Taylor announced the video on social media, she specifically mentioned that there were 19 hands in the hallway, which some people think could be a reference to the 19th amendment of the US Constitution. Fans also think this could be a reference to Serena Williams’ infamous loss at the 2018 US Open final. She was ultimately fined $17,000 for shouting at the umpire during the match, and it caused an awful lot of debate about double standards and sexism in tennis. Taylor including this in the video for “The Man” while literally singing “If I was a man, then I’d be the man” whew
TikTok Cameo: Loren Gray
There’s also a tiny cameo by TikTok star Loren Gray…And, of course, Taylor’s dad Scott Swift as the unfortunate umpire being pelted with tennis balls.The video ends with Taylor as the director giving The Man™ some pointers — to be sexier and more likeable — before praising Loren, the woman on set, for her “astonishing” and “excellent” performance. And some pretty great ending credits.
Oh, and one last thing, The Man™ was voiced by none other than Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. Iconic.
Taylor Plays the Man
Taylor even dresses up as a man herself!
See the Awesome Video Here
Latest posts by Michaella Vanderkooi (see all)
- Sophie Turner Stars in Joe Jonas’s Tiktok Completely Bare Faced - September 22, 2020
- Iggy’s New Look Has Everybody in Awe - September 21, 2020
- Kourtney Kardashian Claims She WOULDN’T Seek Relationship Advice From Her Sister Kim - September 20, 2020